Thursday 20 June 2013

Lately - My Life in Videos

I have recently discovered that I can take videos with the camera on my phone! Call me technologically retarded but I seriously didn't realize. You press the button that has the camera icon on it twice and it turns to video! So cool! Hence, the following post contains a few videos of what's been going on in my life lately.

AFS has a rule that if an exchange student decides not to do all their exams, said exchange student must do some volunteer work. Others have been helping out in kindergartens, ice cream shops, technology firms, and other interesting things. I have been working in the book depot at my school. You know? The place where you take all your textbooks at the end of the year? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's not as riveting as I would have liked. My contact person said she had contacts at this really fancy deli where exchange students had volunteered before and she'd try getme in but we never heard back from her... So there I was... Doing this... For four hours every day for the last week or so.



What's great about it is the people. They are all so chilled and easy to get along with, and it has helped me to see how much progress I have made both in terms of my Danish and how and my people skills. Not being able to communicate so well for so long really sets you up. Now that I can communicate, I cant stop! :) It's also nice to feel useful again. I'm not going to lie I spend a lot of my time in school just playing Subway Surf or Fruit Ninja because school work had a tendency to defeat me or go right over my head. With this un-paid job, I'm DOING something. Otherwise I would be sitting in the sun reading, which is of course lovely but can make you feel both sunburned and lonely if you do it all day every day. Almost all the employees are also students at the school - more friendly faces!

Today was my last day there actually. I made a cake for everyone to say thanks :) I also got a present from Michael, the boss guy. It was a book - appropriate seeing as I was working in a book depot - however it was a VERY interesting book. Turns out that Michael, unbeknownst to all of us who work there, has been writing poetry since 1999. He published it all on the internet under a pseudonym and got a whole lot of great feedback, so he came forward and published HUNDREDS of poems in a book, which he gave me a copy of. Talk about hidden talent...

There was also never ending fruit and coffee in the staff room which I could help myself too. I shall miss that :'(

Because all my Danish friends have been having exams and tests and stress stress stress, I have been spending a lot of time with exchange students. In the last week I have been to the beach, to a picnic, to a concert, and to dinner all with other exchange students. AFS says its important not to spend all your time with other AFSers but its better than being alone, right? Besides, as I said everyone else is busy studying. Here is a video from a concert we went to on Friday night.



Bad video. But it was pretty bad music too not gonna lie. It was this song by a guy called Pharphar and the lyrics translate to "I Feel Like Rolling You." Hideously inappropriate considering the amount of children at the park. It was a free concert though, so.....

Last Saturday, my host aunt came home from a year in England. She is actually younger than me - 17. Thomas' (my host dad's) dad has been married three times and has had five kids and she is the youngest. She was such a sweet girl! It was interesting to meet someone coming HOME from an exchange year as oppose to me - halfway through it. She was really down to earth and open about everything, and her family was SO glad to have her back!

Another exchange student arrangement this Monday too - AFS Copenhagen North ( my local chapter) were invited for dinner at Mook's place. She is from Thailand and is soon to change families so she wanted to host something before the big move. Pretty much EVERYONE is changing families. Some people have had one family until now, are having one for the summer, and ANOTHER one when school starts again. I just cannot imagine it. It would be so stressful having to constantly adapt to new households. I am so comfortable with my family now and, honestly, I am starting to get a weird feeling. I don't want to go home. It's not that I don't miss home, because I do sometimes, but it represents reality. Well, it doesn't represent it, it IS reality. Coming home is an inevitability and it's only just hitting me now. Rather than coming home, why don't ll the people I miss come here? Anyway I'll stop with the melancholic spiel.

We left Mook's house really late and had to wait aaaaages for the train. Nek minnit running down an upwards escalator.


Yep. So, now I have a proposition to make. I don't actually know who reads these posts, but if you do please leave a comment saying what you'd like a video of. I like this whole video thing it saves writing time....

a) A tour around Værløse
b) A day in the life of Molly (the dog)
c) Me talking Danish about something (say what) with subtitles in English

VOTE PEOPLE. If there are people....

:) :)

2 comments:

  1. Tour of Vaerlose then a day in the life of Molly with you speaking her thoughts in Danish! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. I'm not a people - just your Dad - so I expect my vote won't count, but in any case just do them all; A tour around Værløse with Molly while you talk in Danish about what we are looking at:)

    ReplyDelete