Wednesday 5 June 2013

La Belle France


On Monday, I jumped on a plane, flew for two hours and guess where I landed? Swtizerland! I did not stay in Swtizerland, however, I drove thirty minutes over the border by bus to meet my big sister Ali who lives in Sciez, France and works as an au pair. The reason for my visit was her 20th birthday, congratulations Ali! But I also wanted to see how she lived and catch up on the last five months. I've almost been away for five months! Wow!

I arrived on Monday evening and had a huge hug the second I got off the bus. I don't know why but I cried when I saw her too. I wasn't sad, I just cried. Classic me. Anyway, we got pizza to take away and ate it sitting down at one of many ports upon Lake Geneva, admiring the glistening water and sparkling sunshine with a snowy mountainous back drop. After spending so long in a country where the biggest hill I climb is the stairs up to the train station it came as a bit of a shock to be reminded what mountains are again. They are big. They are steep. Nothing like the piddly slopes of Denmark. Being said, I love having no hills. On the other hand, my legs are no longer accustomed to climbing them so walking the cobbled streets of Rhone Alps France region was rather a challenge.


Ali's birthday began with dropping the twin girls off to school. It may have been her birthday but life doesn't just stop, apparently. We then got chocolate almond croissants from the bakery and ate them on the beach. Oh lord, our week of food came from culinary heaven. I feel as if I have put on a million kilos in the last seven days. I know I haven't, but I feel like it. The day after Ali's birthday, we had reservations for a restaurant close to her place which received a Michigan star a couple of years ago. Four course dinner. Yes please. Let's go. That Wednesday night was the culinary highlight of the week. I could honestly go on about food forever, but I'm not going to because other people don't care about food as much as I do. I will summarize: I ate lots of good food. Calories are a stupid human invention and I don't care about them, because it tasted SO GOOD. This sums up my approach to life:







Saw a modern art museum in Geneva. It was free because only one floor was open. It was very hip, very modern :)
- Saw a watch museum in Geneva. Now this was fun, even though it sounds boring it was hilarious. On the third floor, in the back room, there were pocket watches with portraits on them. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard. Some of the faces looked like caricatures and some of them were just plain ugly. I literally couldn't stop giggling!
I also met the grandparents of the two girls Ali looks after - they had us over for dinner on her birthday. They were lovely people! I also met an Australian woman who lives close by. Ali babysits her kids in return for a gym membership. She was dog sitting their dog for the weekend because they went away. That dog is not a dog. It is a devil. I have scratch marks on my leg from it jumping up and clawing at me. Who would have though such a tiny little ball of fluff could do so much damage? Sigh...
Also, please excuse the lack of photos. My camera died on the first day there, and I forgot to charge it all week. So smart.

I am back in DK now, obviously, and I am basking in the GLORIOUS SUNSHINE. It rained all week in France so it is a welcome change! I had an English exam on Monday which was a bit of a joke. It was five hours long, and when I finished at 12 and had to find something to do for the next two hours I realised how ridiculously long five hours is for an exam. I had two hours to kill before I could leave. I have the Romeo and Juliet film on my itunes and I contemplated watching it but decided against it- could look suspicious. And yes, we were allowed our laptops and internet access. And food, but I left my lunch at home so all I had was a carrot. Wooooo!

I had such a great week in France. I was awesome to see my sister again, and I was really sad to leave her ;( We both got pretty emotional at the airport. But, the good thing is that she is only 2 hours away! A week away was also particularly significant in that I came home again. Not just back to Denmark but home. It really feels like home. I was so excited to see our dog Molly :) I missed her! And of course I missed my host family too, but scratchy little fluff ball made me appreciate how docile and sweet Molly is. Awwwww. 


Also, please excuse the lack of photos. My camera died on the first day there, and I forgot to charge it all week. So smart.


No comments:

Post a Comment