Wednesday 27 February 2013

Hi everyone!
So I spent last weekend in NZ with the kiwis. Here are some photos from the trip:






















We did pretty much all there is to do in Odense... Not gonna lie it's a pretty small town, and in my opinion, the Hamilton of Denmark. My journey started off terribly: I nearly missed the train the arrival board changed the platform at the last minute. Then, after running to the platform, I discovered that the carriage on which I had booked a seat was not connected to the train. What kind of person forgets to attach an entire carriage? Actually, it was two. So, almost in tears I asked a man in a fluro jacket what I was supposed to do, and he told me to just squeeze in where I could fit. And I fit right between the toilet and the rubbish bin. Best seats! Woo! And, like a true traveller I put my bag on the floor, sat on it and tried to have a little nap. I was tired, and the weekend hadn't even begun.... Welcome to my life.

When I arrived at the station, the others were already there. Will lives in Odense and was having us stay at his place for the weekend. Phoebe and Libby live in other parts of Denmark, and we were missing Molly because she was changing host families over the weekend. We decided to all get together to catch up on how things have been for us Kiwis in the first month and a bit. Some of Will's friends from school came over and cooked dinner for us. Score! We went out to a few bars and pubs that night (see photo above). Everyone was smoking, and it smelled horrible. Today, I worse the jumper I am wearing in that picture and it still stinks, even after I sprayed it with an excessive amount of lovely smelling perfume (thanks Trish!). We got home at four in the morning. All I wanted was SLEEP.

The next morning, we rose late and did some site-seeing around Odense. It;s main attraction is Hans Christian Andersen's childhood home, which is the yellow house in the photos above. It was very cute and little. Did you know his Dad was a shoe-maker? Cool huh? We also saw the Cathedral, the shops, and that was pretty much it. As I said, Hamilton of Denmark.

Will's host family were so lovely and kind, and took very good care of us over the weekend. His host sister Mathilde (who is only eight) gave up her room for us to sleep in! Consequently, we hung out with her a lot. She was adorable! His two host brothers (twins, eleven) were very shy but also very sweet. His host parents were fantastic :) They made us the nicest pizza I have ever eaten EVER on saturday night. Actually there is one pizza I can think of that tops it, but they were SO GOOD. His host mum was an au pair in the US when she was younger, so it was really nice talking to her about being an adolescent in a foreign country.

Asides from that, what else is going on in my life? Hmm... Well I have joined Fitness World, because I do not want to fulfill the AFS stereotype and get fat. So that's exciting. I also saw a ballet tonight at the Royal Theatre. It was beautiful. The theatre more-so than the ballet, in my opinion. It was like being in phantom of the opera, there was a giant chandelier and the ceiling made me think I was in the Sistine Chapel. Four galleries, red velvet and gold everywhere ahhhhhhh, amazing! The ballet was very modern, three short and very contrasting pieces from an american dance company . The first was just bizarre and the music reminded me of nightmares I had as a kid. The second one was all men, no music. Like, they danced for thirty minutes in total silence. The last one was a typical white tutu pretty floaty lalalala ballet, but I really think the Royal New Zealand Ballet has spoiled me, because I wasn't all that impressed. But it was beautiful!

This Friday we have our next school party, the theme is rock. I got my costume al sorted today and am ready to go! The school is doing an experiment and breath testing us at the door, if anyone comes back positive they cant get in. It will be an interesting evening, but I hope it works :) I am also off to Vienna in Austria the week after next for a trip with my class. We got our travel hoodies the other day! 2A i Wien, yes man! I am really looking forward to the trip, it will be nice to do something different yet stil educational for a few days, and learn more about people and cultures and all that jazz. So now I am going to sleep because I have to wake up in six hours. Oh lordy. Will post pictures of the theatre tomorrow sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment